Thursday 7 January 2016

My super Kingfisher moment in Delta Ebre, Spain

Four months I've waited for the Kingfisher shot I longed for to grace the picture frame I received as a gift from friends.

I already had a few reasonable shots of this colourful bird, taken by the Exeter Canal. But the birds had perched in the reeds on the other side of the canal, a little too far away and the background looked too cluttered.  I had enjoyed watching them on my home patch, all the same.

My super Kingfisher moment came when I was in a bird hide alongside a lagoon on the Delta Ebre watching Flamingos in the distance.  My camera was resting on the window shelf and was switched on ready to go, I leaned down to look at the Flamingos through the viewfinder and this beautiful Kingfisher just dropped down onto a lone reed, right in front of the hide!  

The evening sun shone directly through the doorway behind me, highlighting the Kingfisher's gorgeous blue/green feathers down his back.  

I had just a couple of seconds to fire a few shots as a Spanish girl rushed into the hide when she noticed something happening. She ran straight towards the window, frightening the beautiful bird which disappeared as quickly as he'd appeared.




No comments:

Post a Comment