Saturday 5 December 2015

Goldcrest - Exminster Marshes

The hedgerows around the ditches of the Marshes are squeaking!

Walk quietly and gently and you can often hear the tiny mouse-like 'squeak, squeak' of the UK's smallest bird - the Goldcrest, with the occasional and rarer Firecrest.  They flit from twig to twig, hunting out little insects buried in the moss, lichen, bark and leaves on the trees and bushes.


These funny little characters with their distinctive 'frown' and golden yellow 'Mohican' crest are a cheerful sight on a winter's day.  Full of energy, they rarely sit still, making photos challenging.  But whilst standing very still, watching the Grey Wagtail puddle dipping (see post below), I became aware of the familiar squeaking getting nearer and nearer in the hedgerow to my left.  As I gently and carefully turned towards the direction of the squeaking I saw a tiny eye observing me from a gap in the brambles.  Curiosity got the better of him and I managed a super-quick shot before he flitted back under cover.








No comments:

Post a Comment